8.26.2009

Mommy goes to college

I'm going back to school to finish my degree. When I was in high school I did Running Start which allowed me to complete my first two years of college while I completed my last two years of high school. Bully for me. The problem was, once I graduated from high school it was time to pick a major. I floundered around for a good year before I finally used my wedding as an excuse to quit. And I was okay with quitting. All I ever really wanted to do was be a wife and a mother. (Really don't want to hear why I'm wrong for wanting that.)

Well, things change. And not always how you think they will.

Fast forward 11+ years and I now have a direction along with three undeniable incentives to finish. I will be pursuing a degree in Speech Pathology from EWU (in conjunction with WSU). I have a year of pre-req's to finish (part time) and then it's a two year program (full time). I also have to get a Master's if I want to actually BE a Speech Pathologist, and lo and behold, EWU also has a Master's program. (Yeah, I know you look more well rounded if you get the master's elsewhere, but I'm living with my parents for free and I can't beat that at this point in life.)

Caden will be 12 when I finish school and start a job. BUT, it will be a job that has GREAT starting salary, is in high demand, and if I can swing working in a school system, I'll have the same hours as my kids as well as summers off. Bonus, I can also pick up side jobs. Plus I LOVE communication courses: they've always been my favorites and this is just the other side of it; communication disorders. AND I get to learn sign language - how cool is that?!

So (gulp) here's to the next five years of college for me!

10 comments:

Steph said...

congrats! school is great!

Josh n Betsie said...

you go girl

Melanie said...

5 years isn't too long in the grand scheme of things....right?

Rae said...

You can do it! No problem!

Parke Family said...

Good luck!! You'll do great.

Carleen said...

I'm hoping to get back to school soon too, You are an inspiration! Don't look at how long it takes, just how much more wonderfully talented you'll be when you're done!

Erin McSpadden said...

you rock val!
good for you, you'll do great!

Sheena said...

I'm actually kind of jealous. Not about the 5 year thing...but about the speech pathologist thing. As a special ed teacher, I worked with speech pathologists. It is a great job. I have always said that if I go back to work I would rather do it as a therapist...speech, occupational, etc.

The Lovells said...

Here's to speach path!! clink, clink... we have one and a half in our fam (one is still in the process). So ask away if you have questions.

Holly said...

And I totally can help you with the sign language! Yay!!! I've been wondering if that would be part of it for you. You'll love it.