The other day as I'm having my daily Coke (wish I could do the diet route but it's so nasty), Caden, in all his 6 year old glory asks if it has caffeine in it. Crap. I've been getting around giving them sips when they ask by saying that it's a mommy drink. But we recently bought some 7 Up and since he can read (darn it all) he noticed that the can said caffeine-free. So that brought up a discussion of what caffeine is....well, it's a drug. And we've already had a drug talk, so he knows that you don't take drugs unless it's something that mommy or daddy give to you (because Tylenol is a drug too, I'm not giving my kid crack or anything).
Anyway, so now he's made the connection that the "mommy-drink" has a drug in it. He asks me, "Oh, so that must be a good kind of caffeine since you're drinking it." No, there is no good kind of caffeine. "Then why are you drinking it if it's bad for you and it's a drug?" Good question kid. I can't tell him that I can't get through the day without it, because I have a baby, and I need that extra shot of energy that it gives me (or at least I think I do), so the only answer I can give him is that I shouldn't.
Does this mean I have to quit Coke? It would probably speed up my weight loss, so that would be a benefit, but on the other hand, I don't want to.
Ahhhh, it must be one of my sins I'm not willing to give away. That and my Janet Evanovich books. I'm packing all of those in my handbasket.
8.06.2008
Do You Understand The Title Of My Blog?
Posted by Valerie at 8:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Val ~
I love love love diet coke. The more caffeine the better I say. There is a difference in the taste of the caffeine free one. YUCKERS!
Are you sure it was diet coke you drank and thought to taste nasty? Diet coke is never nasty. Bad for you yes. But nasty? No WAY! I know I sound like an addict but I really only have one every couple of months or so. Coffee is my drug of choice. One cup every other day though is all I get. It makes me feel barfy but I just can not give it up.
Thanx again for the laugh. I look forward to reading your blog.
I am not even gonna get started on my hand basket.........LOL
I had a similar conversation today with my three year old.
Max: "Why you drink you Dr. Pepper mom?"
Me: "Um..... because I need it?"
Max: "I need it too!"
Me: "No, it's just for mommy."
Max: "Why?"
From now on, I will hide in the closet when I drink it.
Have you ever tried the Diet Coke with Splenda? It's less nasty.
So....that basket of yours must be getting pretty heavy about now. :) Just Kidding, Val. I luv ya! Maybe you should switch to chocolate. It may take him a while to catch on to the fact that it has caffeine in it too. Or...you could purposefully buy a placebo drink (aka caffeine-free coke) dump it down the sink and just fill it with coke while he is not looking. He will never be the wiser.
So....that basket of yours must be getting pretty heavy about now. :) Just Kidding, Val. I luv ya! Maybe you should switch to chocolate. It may take him a while to catch on to the fact that it has caffeine in it too. Or...you could purposefully buy a placebo drink (aka caffeine-free coke) dump it down the sink and just fill it with coke while he is not looking. He will never be the wiser.
i don't think anyone's ever died from drinking coke...have they? hmmm...i love diet dr. pepper. i just love sodas period. it doesn't matter what kind- but i prefer diet. i don't care if it's caffeine free. i am just addicted to the carbonation and sweetness. we can get the no-name brand (diet dr. thunder) and i like it just as much...but i do prefer diet. you can get hooked on that artificial sweetener taste to the point that "real sugar" tastes bad to you. real coke is gross to me now. but if i drink 2-3 cans of caffeinated soda for a week or longer, i will develop and addiction...and then if i go without a coke for even 1/2 a day i get a headache! NOT GOOD....so i swap back and forth with caffeine free just to keep myself from getting hooked.
I have faced this identical situation, and have solved it by simply saying, "get your own, kid." Selfish b****rd, you think? Yes, indeedy. I belong to the "Do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do" school of parenting. And why not? I have tried the other route and it doesn't work. I teach my children by precept and by example not to write on the walls, but they wrote on the walls constantly, and three of them have become talented artists, dang their little hides. Still, precept and example don't necessarily work so I say live and let live. If you want that coke and if you need that coke, there's no reason you should not have that coke and enjoy it guilt free. Kids need to learn boundaries and one important boundary in life they need to learn is hands off mama's happy drink.
I found you on Mormon Mommy Blogs, and I would like to take this opportunity to say that I love the title of your blog.
There's nothing like kids to help me grow up. Being the example and role model is a real drag but it has made me a better person.
How old is your baby and are you nursing? Thinking of caffeine in the breastmilk and all that implies...
Keep up keepin' it real. It's the only way to fly!
coke is a fairy drink. you need to try monster to kick your day in the butt.
Yea! Another mommy who won't drink the diet stuff! I will not submit and become resigned to diet. It's real, hard-core pepsi all the way!!
Post a Comment